A Higher Standard
Chevington Associates is a multifamily housing development firm focused on creating high quality residential communities. We are experienced in a broad range of product types including suburban garden, urban infill, historic renovation, and workforce apartments. Across all product types, we emphasize quality design, customer orientation, and sustainable results.
Projects completed by the Chevington Associates team include:
- Alpha Mill Apartments is a 167-unit development that involved the renovation of an 1880’s era cotton mill, brownfields restoration, and new construction. Alpha Mill won an Adaptive Re-use Award from both MultiHousing News and Multifamily Executive magazines.
- Arbor Glen Apartmentsis a 308-unit development that resulted from the redevelopment of a distressed and dilapidated public housing project into a mixed-income community that became the catalyst for the renewal of a broader neighborhood. Arbor Glen Apartments won a Housing North Carolina Award and recognition as the Affordable Project of the Year by Multifamily Executive magazine.
- Birkdale Village Apartments is a 320-unit development that is part of a vertically integrated, mixed–use project which includes 287,000 s.f. of retail and office space that resulted in a vibrant new regional community center. Birkdale Village has won awards from both the Urban Land Institute and the National Association of Home Builders.
- Meadowmont Apartments is a 258-unit development in Chapel Hill, NC with mixed-use setting that combines apartments, retail, institutional and retirement housing on 435 acres. Meadowmont Apartments won the National Multifamily Customer Service Award “A List” designation from CEL Associates for multiple years 2005-2010.
- The Lexington Dilworth is a 235 unit community built on the edge of a historic Charlotte neighborhood that incorporated compatible design elements and has been featured in several Charlotte publications. The Greater Charlotte Apartment Association recognized The Lexington Dilworth as the Best New Property of 2017 in its Bravo industry awards.
- The Edge at Sedgefield Apartments is a 263 unit development on the edge of Charlotte’s Sedgefield and South End neighborhoods and close to the Lynx Blue Line, the city’s light rail. The property won a 2021 Building North Carolina Design Award from Business North Carolina magazine.
- Court at Redstone Apartments is a 260 unit development located on a tech company campus just outside of Charlotte in Indian Land, South Carolina. Multifamily Executive magazine named the Court at Redstone the Garden Style Community of the Year for 2021.
The quality of a multifamily property’s design is essential to its customer appeal and to its contribution to the broader community. We take a hands-on approach to a project’s design determining how each site can be developed into attractive, appealing homes. The site planning effort includes determining the best approach for street presentation, building – to- building relationships, circulation and parking, protection and enhancement of natural features, landscaping and amenity areas. Our approach to building design is first determined by the project’s context and then we study carefully how best to organize building scale, entrances, window patterns, and exterior materials. The plans for each apartment focus on spaces that live and service well.
Creating someone’s home is a special responsibility that requires careful attention to how people live and their needs and desires. We know that what a senior needs at her home is different from the needs of a single mother and that both should have a thoughtfully designed living space. Similarly the buildings that we design for young singles are and should be different from the homes that we build for families with children. We study new materials, industry publications, and competitive developments but often the best ideas have come from close listening to and observation of our resident customers.
What we build today lasts many years into the future and has ongoing effects on the quality of life for its residents and the broader community. We emphasize the use of materials that are attractive and durable and lack harmful effects on the environment. We pay special attention to a number of key issues such as energy efficiency, natural lighting, site walkability, and health building site amenities to assure that our communities have positive effects for years to come.
At Chevington Associates, we help you navigate through the entire development process. Click each of the arrows to learn more about the journey.
Chevington Associates carefully researches each real estate development opportunity to determine market conditions, site characteristics, and product potential. No two development opportunities are the same and determining the appropriate approach is critical to any project’s success.
We have experience in and understand a broad range of markets in the Southeast and a broad range of development approaches. We use both third party market analysts and our own research to truly understand the possibilities for a potential project. We research demographic changes, lifestyle choices, and neighborhood dynamics.
We understand the design of any development must meet a number of objectives including community compatibility, customer satisfaction and long term sustainability. We assemble design teams carefully and complete plans thoughtfully, seeking input and comment from stakeholders, financial partners and potential customers and use the results of our ongoing market and customer research. We have a demonstrated ability in designing developments that achieve market success and contribute to their surrounding community.
Display Column Text Content!
It seems your didn't set up/insert text content for column Click here to fix it!
In order to proceed, all developments must obtain a series of approvals. We work closely with the local entitlement process to assure both compliance and approval while maintaining our design intent. We have long established experience with a number of debt financing and equity sources and make the case for the opportunity that we have undertaken to obtain its needed financing. Finally and perhaps most importantly we focus on the thousands of details that are important to our resident customers and will ensure their approval.
Project execution is critically important. We work with the contractor and design team to make certain that the construction is completed successfully. We also integrate the property management team to assure that the marketing is well conceived, the needed contracts for services are in place, and the turnover from construction results in a quality product that is well accepted by its customers.
Justin F. “Jud” Little
Chevington Associates is headed by Jud Little. Jud has over thirty years of experience in the multifamily housing industry and has developed and managed over 8,000 units of multifamily housing in a variety of product types including luxury suburban apartments, urban infill apartments, workforce housing developments, and historic property rehabilitations.
From 1988 to 2007, Jud served as the apartments division president for Crosland LLC and worked across many markets in the Southeast, directing senior professionals in multifamily asset development, construction and management. Prior to his work at Crosland, Jud was Senior Vice President and Regional Partner with Oxford Development Corporation in Atlanta.
M.C.P., Master of City Planning, Harvard University
B.A., Amherst College